Sunday, September 6, 2015

The Savior’s Instruction about the Holy Ghost



Today I am studying about the Holy Ghost in John 14-16. There are many things listed about what the Holy Ghost does and what the disciples of Christ must do to receive the Holy Ghost. Here is a list that touches on each of these points:

  • John 14:15–17 –Jesus will pray to the Father to give us the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost. We are expected to keep the commandments so that we may be worthy of this gift.
  • John 14:26–27 – The Holy Ghost will help us remember the things that we have been taught. He will also teach us all things that we need to know. Finally, the Holy Ghost will bring us peace. All that is required of us is to receive this gift and to not get caught up in the troubles and fears of the world; or in other words to have faith. 
  • John 15:26–27 – The Holy Ghost comes from the Father and is the spirit of truth. He testifies to us in our hearts and in our minds of the truthfulness of the gospel and of Christ. To be worthy of this gift we must share our witness of Christ and testify of Him. 
  • John 16:7–8 – The disciples of Jesus did not have the Holy Ghost with them when Jesus was with them. There was no need to have two members of the Godhood there at that time. The Lord promised that when he was gone the Holy Ghost would then be their companion. This is for their own good and ours. Without the companionship of the Holy Ghost we would be left in darkness.
  •  John 16:13–14 – The Lord teaches us here that the Holy Ghost is a guide that will direct us to truth and help us see what is to come so that we can be prepared. The Holy Ghost’s mission and purpose is to testify of Christ. We need only to listen to his promptings and follow them.

Further insight can be gained from the Institute Manual for the New Testament.

“The gift of the Holy Ghost adapts itself to all these organs or attributes. It quickens all the intellectual faculties, increases, enlarges, expands and purifies all the natural passions and affections; and adapts them, by the gift of wisdom, to their lawful use. It inspires, develops, cultivates and matures all the fine-toned sympathies, joys, tastes, kindred feelings and affections of our nature. It inspires virtue, kindness, goodness, tenderness, gentleness and charity. It develops beauty of person, form and features. It tends to health, vigor, animation and social feeling. It invigorates all the faculties of the physical and intellectual man. It strengthens, and gives tone to the nerves. In short, it is, as it were, marrow to the bone, joy to the heart, light to the eyes, music to the ears, and life to the whole being.

“In the presence of such persons, one feels to enjoy the light of their countenances, as the genial rays of a sunbeam. Their very atmosphere diffuses a thrill, a warm glow of pure gladness and sympathy, to the heart and nerves of others who have kindred feelings, or sympathy of spirit.” (Pratt, Key to the Science of Theology, p. 101.)

As we keep the commandments we can trust the Holy Ghost to be our companions throughout our lives on earth. He will instruct, enlighten, bear witness of the truth, and reveal the mysteries of the kingdom of God to us. He will protect us and encourage us as we face the trials and challenges of this world.


When the Savior was crucified the apostles and disciples were left without a member of the Godhood and would have quickly fallen into apostasy had it not been for the Holy Ghost. He was their constant companion when they taught the gospel, when they were imprisoned, and when they were challenged and tested. He helped to strengthen them and helped them to remember what they had learned at the feet of the Savior so that they could fulfill their mission.

We too need to live worthy of the companionship of the Holy Ghost. I remember, as a young married girl, a time when my husband was out to sea. I was all alone for months on end and it was a very lonely time for me. I struggled emotionally and physically. One day while my husband was out to sea, I was outside sweeping the garage. I must have twisted wrong because I suddenly felt this strong pain in my back. I dropped the broom and hobbled into the house. Nothing seemed to ease the pain so I laid down on the floor in the living room. Suddenly this made my back lock up and I could not move. 

This was a time before cell phones so I had to inch my way to the phone that hung on the wall. It took me almost 2 hours to go about 10 feet. The pain was unimaginable! I finally knocked the phone down so I could call someone but could not remember a single number. I could not even remember to dial 911. 


I said a prayer asking for peace and to help me remember the phone number of my visiting teacher. Instantly my soul was comforted. I knew everything would be ok and I remembered her phone number. Although I spent the next few months in a wheel chair I knew that I was not alone and was able to endure the pain with the help of the Holy Ghost. I know that I was not alone when I hurt my back and that all I had to do was call upon the Spirit for help and he was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment