Saturday, September 5, 2015

The Trial of Our Faith is More Precious than Gold



Let’s face it, life just isn’t fair! I cannot even count the times I have said this. For some, the question is often asked, “Why do I have to have so many trials?” And others cry out, “I’m tired of being ridiculed by those who do not keep the commandments!” This post is directed at myself and others who have had similar thoughts and frustrations. 

For years I have struggled with the heartache of being unable to have a child. Infertility can be especially challenging when you belong to a church that puts so much emphasis on family, posterity, and parenting. It can be a trial of faith when you see drug addicts and child abusers able to conceive and yet you remain barren. In 1Peter 1:6-7 we read “Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations: That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ”.

To me, this scripture means that our trials are just for a season (although for me this season is my entire earthly existence). I love how Peter recognizes the “heaviness” of our load and that this is a “trial of your faith” for indeed it has been heavy and an incredibly challenging trial of my faith. 


However, I know that there is a bigger plan and that, if I continue to live worthy, the Lord will bless me for my faith and patience through this trial. As I become stronger and endure it well I will receive all of the blessings the Father has in store for me including the opportunity to have children in the next life. There are some days when eternity seems so very far away but I still hold fast to my faith.

Enduring our trials is one thing but what of those who ridicule or mock us especially when they are not perfect in keeping the commandments themselves? For guidance on this we need look no further than the Savior himself. How many times was he mocked or ridiculed by those who professed to know more than him and yet he bore their constant attacks with patience and charity. 1 Peter 2:23 reads “Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously”. The Lord never retaliated against those who reviled or threatened him and neither should we.

So what do these two things have in common? Once, many many years ago, someone once told me that I was infertile because of some sin I had committed and that this was the Lords way of punishing me. I don’t think any words have ever stung me quite like these did. 

A few months later it came out that this same person was having an affair. I could have been smug and undignified and confronted the person about judging me while doing what she was doing but that is not the Lord’s way. 
My heart ached for her and what her family was going through. Her children and husband were humiliated. Her reputation was destroyed. It was a heartbreaking mess to be sure. However, they were able to push through the challenge and so was I. 


Bad things happen to good people. And sometimes very smart people make stupid choices. We’re all on this ride together and the more we can show love and compassion to those who are struggling the better the ride of life will be for us and those with whom we associate. May we all strive to be more Christ-like in our thoughts, words, and deeds. May we all recognize that the trial of our faith is more precious than gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment